Check out our Computer Training Class Schedule for July-August 2015 at the Career Development Center on Freedom Drive.
Goodwill offers Computer Classes at our Freedom Drive and Gaston County Job Connection, located at 412 South Broad Street in Gastonia.
Powerhouse Job Success Computer Course This one-week course is intended to provide students with the skills needed to successfully search for and obtain a job using up-to-date computer skills. Instruction will cover the essentials of computer operation and typing skills, Microsoft Office software, financial literacy, social networking, and much more. The goal is to provide students with entry-level skill awareness and development as well as job seeking and job retention strategies. Class meets Monday to Friday, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. If you are unemployed, have been notified of a pending layoff, are eligible for the Federal Earned Income Tax Credit, or if you earn wages at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines, the course will be offered at no cost to you. If these categories do not apply, the course is available for a $65 course fee. You must be 18 years of age or older to attend, and must be present on the first day of class to register.
CRC/Win/Work Readiness Computer Lab This computer lab is available for those who are interested in these programs and services:
- WIN program – which will assess and build math, reading, business writing, applied technology, teamwork, listening, locating information and observation skills needed to succeed in today’s workplace.
- Work search – including assistance with online applications and career assessments, keyboarding, and more.
- Career Readiness Certification (CRC) – An assessment-based credential that gives employers and career seekers a uniform measure of workplace skills. This national certificate is based on the WorkKeys® System developed by ACT, Inc. To earn a CRC, individuals undergo testing related to reading, applied math, and locating information.
Lab Hours Open Mondays through Wednesdays, 8:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Only open during the first three weeks of each month.
Makin’ it Work – Second Chance Workshop Helping former offenders transition from corrections to community and the world of work. This cognitive-behavioral program designed for former offenders includes instruction on:
- Understanding negative thinking traps that make it easy to act impulsively
- Understanding employers’ hidden codes of explanation
- Recognizing and managing strong emotions before they get out of control
- Solving workplace problems logically instead of impulsively
- Giving and taking criticism in a professional setting
Classes (3-week course)
This course is held on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 1-3 p.m. with a graduation on the final Friday of the 3-week course.
Start Dates: Please contact the Gaston County Job Connection for the most current start dates.
If you are unemployed, have been notified of a pending layoff, are eligible for the Federal Earned Income Tax Credit, or if you earn wages at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines, the course will be offered at no cost to you. If these categories do not apply, the course is available for a $65 course fee. You must be 18 years of age or older to attend, and must be present on the first day of class to register.
For more information, please call 704-916-1610, ext. 6002 or firstname.lastname@example.org.