For the sixth year in a row, Goodwill® Industries of the Southern Piedmont will offer free tax preparation services to qualified individuals through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. Offered in partnership with Community Link and the Internal Revenue Service, this volunteer-driven program provides free tax assistance by certified tax preparers to individuals or families with an adjusted gross income of $53,000 or less.
Goodwill is operating the VITA site at its Career Development Center (2122 Freedom Drive, Charlotte, NC 28266) through Wednesday, April 15. The site will be open by appointment only each Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 6:00-9:00 p.m., and each Saturday from 9:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. for walk-ins.
“The average tax return can cost $200 – money that can be used instead to cover the cost of living such as food staples, rent and bills. Our partnership with the VITA program helps people keep their hard-earned money,” said LaToya Lowery, workforce training specialist at Goodwill. “In 2014 we completed 744 tax returns, resulting in more than $1 million in refunds being returned to local residents. This year we hope that even more people will take advantage of this free service.”
Goodwill encourages taxpayers to ask about the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), which provides tax breaks for some working families who earn up to $53,000 and can provide refunds up to $6,044. The IRS estimates that nearly 20 percent of eligible workers do not claim the EITC each year because they lack awareness of the program, cannot afford costly tax preparation fees or fear they will lose public benefits by filing.
To educate local taxpayers about tax benefits including the Earned Income Tax Credit, Goodwill will host a free Tax Awareness Day on Saturday, February 21 from 9:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. at its Career Development Center (2122 Freedom Drive). Pre-registration is not required for this event.
To schedule an appointment for Goodwill’s VITA site, or to see if you qualify for free tax preparation, call (704) 761-VITA (8482) from 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. Tuesday-Friday or schedule an appointment online at www.clvita.org. Please bring the following items with you:
- Proof of identification – Picture ID
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents OR a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration OR Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
For more information on VITA sites in our area, visit www.clvita.org.
Melinda Wilshire | Director, Marketing & Communications | Goodwill Industries of the Southern Piedmont | Office: 704-916-1616 | E-Mail: email@example.com | Facebook: GoodwillSP| Twitter: @GoodwillSP